Do you have those? If you do, then you may be wondering what these are, why you have them and how you can get rid of dark spots. Well, you have come to the right page because that is exactly what we are going to talk about in this article.
Causes of Dark Spots You Need to Know!
Of course, let us begin with the why—why do you have dark spots on face? Well, there are plenty of possible causes for it. Here are some of them:
- Blood Vessel Deformities – Some people already have dark spots on their faces ever since they were babies. These are considered to be their birthmark and come as a result of the deformities in the blood vessels found underneath our skin.
- Sunlight exposure – This is the most common and obvious cause of dark spots. Too much sun exposure can cause a boost in the production of the pigment-producing melanocytes in the skin, causing some of its areas to discolor.
- Hormonal Changes – Any surge in the levels of progesterone and estrogen can stimulate the production of melanin which may cause hyperpigmentation in the skin.
- Aging – Dark spots are also called age spots because this skin problem is usually considered to be a sign of aging.
What Increases Your Risk of Having Dark Spots
Do you ever wonder why some people have dark marks on face while others don’t? That is because there are certain factors that increase one’s risk of having dark spots. Here are some of them:
- Pregnancy – When you are pregnant, your body undergoes hormonal changes that are bound to wreak havoc on your emotions and especially to your skin as melanin production may be increased.
- Use of birth control pills – Birth control pills contain hormones which can disrupt the hormonal balance in your body which may lead to dark spots as its side effect.
- Type of skin – African American and other dark skin types are more prone to having dark spots because they are more sensitive to the sun and prone to acne.
- Acne – There are times when dark spots are a result of scars left behind by acne. Acne dark spots will fade away eventually, but it will take 2-3 months.
The Various Types of Dark Spots You Should Be Familiar With
In one glance, those spots seem like just dark marks on face, but these spots can be categorized into various types. Below are some of the types of dark spots that you should be aware of:
- Liver Spots – Do not worry because this type of dark spot is not related to the health and function of your liver. This is just the term used for the dark spots that are a result of cumulative sun damage for many years.
- Age Spots – This is the type of dark spots that appear on the skin of people over the age of 40. It looks very much like freckles but is much bigger in size and irregular in shape.
- Melasma – This is the term used to denote the type of dark spots that are results of hormonal changes in the body. Women are more prone to have this skin condition, especially during pregnancy.
- Freckles – These are dark spots that come as a result of too much sun exposure and are usually seen in the arms, face, chest and other sun-exposed areas of a fair skinned individual. These are most noticeable during summer but fade during winter.
- Acne Marks – As mentioned above, these are dark spots that are caused by acne scars and may fade within 2-3 months.
How to Get Rid of Black Spots on Your Face? Find Out The Most Effective Remedies Here!
Now that we know the causes, types and risk factors of the dark patches on face, we have come to the most awaited part— how to remove dark spots on face. Well, we have lots of information about that. In fact, here are some of the best remedies that we have rounded up:
- Topical Hydroquinone Products – Hydroquinone is the most popular skin care ingredient for hyperpigmentation because of its bleaching effects. When choosing products containing hydroquinone, opt for ones that contain only 3-4% of this substance as it can have side effects at higher concentrations. It is also recommended that you use such products only on a short-term basis to avoid unwanted side effects.
- Retinol Products – These products contain retinoic and alpha hydroxy acids that promote exfoliation and boost cell turnover to promote the growth of new and healthier skin. However, these acids may make the skin more sensitive to the sun so make sure to wear sunscreen when you use this remedy.
- Laser Treatment – This is a more invasive and expensive remedy for dark spots, but the results are noticeable right away. The procedure employs concentrated light energy in removing the first few layers of the skin with dark spots.
- Chemical Peels – Peels are one of the best ways on how to remove dark spots on the face because these are designed to remove layers of dead skin cells to reveal a healthier-looking skin. However, you should be careful in using peels and other exfoliating products as these may cause skin irritation.
Does Massaging the Area of Dark Spots Help in Reducing It?
But what if you have tried all the treatments mentioned above but your dark spots are too stubborn to get rid of? The next best thing that you can do is to try and reduce its appearance. According to rumors, one of the best ways to do that is by massaging the affected area. But how true are these rumors? Let’s find out!
How can massage help reduce dark spots? When you undergo facial acupressure, the muscle fibers and nerves in our face are stimulated. This simple stimulation can boost the production of collagen and improve blood circulation, leading to a more youthful and toned skin appearance.
So, can massaging your face reduce the appearance of dark spots? Yes, it can! To achieve best results, it is recommended that you perform acupressure therapy on your face for ten times a day.
What are the Best Ways to Reduce Dark Spots?
Aside from acupressure therapy, there are also other ways to reduce the visibility of stubborn dark spots. Here are some other solutions that you can try:
- Skin Brightening Masks – These masks are infused with botanicals along with other natural ingredients which can brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots and make skin look more radiant. Use these masks 2-3 times a week for best results.
- Dark Spot Correctors – These products contain powerful antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and natural brightening ingredients that function as melanin blockers which stop the cells from producing too much melanin to keep the dark spots at bay. These products are applied directly to the dark spots to visibly reduce its appearance.
Dark spots are not a threat to your health nor is it a sign that there’s something wrong with your body. These spots are usually a result of some of the natural changes in our body like hormonal imbalances, aging, and exposure to sunlight. But no matter how harmless they are, the appearance of these spots on our skin can surely cause you to feel a little less confident about how you look. Lucky for you, there are plenty of ways on how you can get rid of it or reduce its appearance. Just keep in mind the information that we have provided above, and you can say goodbye to dark spots in no time!
While some anti aging products use a long list of ingredients in their formulas, others are more simple instead relying on one or two beneficial ingredients. Many products designed to reduce signs of aging in the facial skin contain at least one or two oils which not only supply much needed nutrients, but also keep the skin soft and supple. If the oil has additional benefits such as anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that is even better and highly recommended.
Below you'll find some of the Skin Lightening Cream formulations on the market in our opinion: