- sunscreen reviews
LA ROCHE-POSAY ANTHELIOS REVIEW
Advertising DisclosureThe content that appears on this page is presented as an overview vs. comparative marketing. The provided information includes product information, overviews, buying guides, and product specifications. All trademarks, registered trademarks and service-marks mentioned on this site are the property of their respective owners. If something is factually inaccurate please contact us and let us know. By contributing your product facts helps to better serve our readers and the accuracy of the content.
The table below does not include all companies or all available products in the market but those that we promote as their affiliates. In full compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume that any and all links on the table are affiliate links, and we may receive compensation if you click one of these and make a purchase. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. All editorial content is written without prejudice or bias, regardless of sponsor or affiliate associations.
From L’Oreal Group’s subsidiary company, La Roche-Posay comes Anthelios SX SPF 15 broad spectrum, US $29.99. This product provides daily dual function for the benefit of your skin. It contains chemical sunscreen actives, Mexoryl SX (ecamsule), Avobenzone and Octocrylene, which work together in providing effective and efficient protection for your skin against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB radiation. Both sunscreen actives are relatively less irritating compared to its other chemical sunscreen counterparts.
This product is formulated with a 24/7 moisture release mechanism that keeps skin well hydrated all day and all night. Key moisturizers and skin conditioners infused in the formulation include glycerin and a host of silicones that leave skin with a smooth, supple feel and moisture that goes deep within.
La Roche-Posay claims that this product is designed to suit all skin types with premium consideration made for improving skin tolerance to the risk for irritation commonly brought about by chemical sunscreen actives. Nevertheless, the manufacturer also labels it best for normal skin.
La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15 broad spectrum must only be applied to skin that’s been thoroughly cleansed and toned. If cosmetics will be used, use this product under makeup. Let skin absorb it well before layering with makeup. Apply on skin at least 15 minutes before sun exposure. Re-application every 1.5 to 2 hours is necessary to keep and maintain the product’s potency in effectively shielding skin from the damaging after effects of both UVA and UVB.
Key active ingredients are:
- Avobenzone (2%), Octocrylene (10%): blocks out the sun’s UVB rays
- Mexoryl SX (ecamsule): blocks out the sun’s UVA rays
- Glycerin and silicones: leave skin moisturized and skin surface feeling silky to the touch
- product contains a combination of sunscreen actives that work together to provide skin with broad spectrum sun protection
- product is capable of SPF 15 protection
- product serves a round-the-clock hydration function to keep skin well moisturized throughout the day
- great for layering products and use under creams and cosmetics
- contains silicones, including cimethicone, which can cause product to build up on the surface of the skin, block beneficial ingredients from penetrating deeper skin layers, and increases risk for irritation to occur
- product uses phenoxyethanol, a neurotoxin that can comprise the health of the spine and the rest of the nervous system, as a preservative
- limited product functions make product price incommensurate to potential benefits that can be derived from use
- leaves out antioxidants, added UV blockers and skin health enhancers, from the formulation
- product contains parabens which can catalyze malfunctions in the endocrine system and the organs regulated by various hormones but most especially that of estrogen
RECOMMENDING TO PURCHASE?
Broad spectrum sun protection that includes hydrating benefits is sometimes difficult to find, but La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15 claims to give you the protection you need, without causing dry skin or irritation. Although this product sounds great overall, there are several issues we’d like to address before you consider purchasing. The most obvious issue is the amount of broad spectrum SPF included in this product. An SPF of 15 is simply not enough protection for a serious anti-aging remedy. Additionally, this product contains silicones, which can build up on the surface of the skin and increase irritation. Hydrating products are supposed to allow the skin to breathe and this product builds up and inhibits the skin from acting naturally. This product also leaves out some necessary antioxidants to truly be considered as a hydrating, protective sunscreen. We’d recommend continuing your search for a lightweight, paraben-free formula, with at least 30 SPF.
We all need products that we can entrust our skin health with but we don’t all have the same skin needs. Your ideal skincare regimen must be consistent with your personal skincare philosophy which, in turn, must take into consideration your skin type and your skin needs.
Products that perform double-duty, such as working to protect against UV rays in the form of a tinted moisturizer are always a good idea. Not only do they have multiple benefits but are more convenient to use than having to apply several products. It is still important for the consumer to check exactly what protection any sunscreen-containing cream offers and how often it needs to be applied in order to fully protect the skin from the aging and damaging UV rays.
Below you'll find some of the Best Sunscreen formulations on the market in our opinion: