How To Take Off Waterproof Mascara: 5 Simple And Easy Ways To Do It
Since we spend so much time on applying our eye makeup, we want it to stay intact for as long as possible. So, we tend to resort to budge-proof eye products like waterproof mascara. However, at the end of the day, you’re left wondering about how to take off waterproof mascara.
Because waterproof mascara is meant to be long-lasting, it’s especially hard to remove when you actually want it off. And believe me, you wouldn’t want to sleep with clumpy ink on your eyelashes and risk getting stains on your pillow, puffy eyes, saggy skin, wrinkles around the eyes, or worse, eye infections or irritation.
So, keep reading for easy ways on how to remove waterproof mascara without losing eyelashes! I have also included some tips to minimize or prevent damage to the delicate skin around your eyes.
5 Simple And Easy Methods Of Removing Waterproof Mascara
1. Use An Eye Makeup Remover
Eye makeup removers are specifically designed to remove eye makeup including waterproof mascara. These can remove all traces of mascara effectively, safely, and quickly. Investing in a good waterproof eye makeup remover is worth it especially if you apply waterproof mascara regularly.
When looking for a remover, choose one that is hypoallergenic even if you don’t have sensitive skin. This will ensure that the ingredients will not harm your skin. Products from well-known and trusted brands have higher quality and are less likely to irritate.
Apply the makeup remover to a cotton pad or ball. Press the pad gently on your eyelashes with your eyelids closed for about 30 seconds. Massage gently for a few seconds and then wipe down from the bottom to the tips of your lashes. Keep doing this with fresh pads until all mascara is removed, and the new pad comes clean.
A trick to make this easier is to soak cotton pads with makeup remover instead of just applying a few drops.
2. Use Cold Cream
Cold cream can remove stubborn makeup from the entire face including waterproof mascara. When using this method on how to take off waterproof mascara, cleanse your face and pat it dry before liberally applying the cream. This deeply conditions the skin.
Allow the cream to stay for a few minutes before wiping it off using a warm, damp washcloth. However, cold cream is not to be applied on the eyelids but should be carefully rubbed into the lashes and cleaned away.
3. Wash It Off With Baby Shampoo
Baby shampoo is another gentle and effective way to remove waterproof mascara. It can be used safely around the eyes since most brands are hypoallergenic and fragrance and dye-free.
Using a very small amount, apply the shampoo onto a damp cotton ball and place the cotton on your eyelashes. Avoid getting it in your eyes. Use wet pads or cloth to remove both the shampoo and mascara, making sure to not leave anything behind. To avoid irritating your eyes, never use normal shampoo.
4. Use Natural Oils And Not Baby Oil
Oil is the opposite of water. If it is waterproof, it means that it is most probably oil based and in which case another oil will be most effective in dissolving the mascara, allowing it to slide off your lashes almost effortlessly.
Simply pour a little amount of any natural oil like olive oil on your fingers and rub this onto your eyelashes. You can also put a few drops of oil on a piece of cotton and press this against your lashes for about ten to twenty seconds.
This will give the oil enough time to dissolve the mascara so you can remove it more easily. Then, wipe the lashes until all the mascara slips off.
Coconut oil is another good choice that will also keep the skin around your eyes soft and hydrated. How to remove waterproof mascara with coconut oil? Just put a dab on a cotton ball and wipe over your eyelashes.
Use a dry, clean cloth to remove any excess oil or wash your face if necessary.
5. Make Your Own Witch Hazel Solution With Jojoba Oil Or Almond Oil
This next solution on how to take off waterproof mascara is all natural, can last for six months, and won’t irritate your eyes. Mix 2 tablespoons of almond oil or jojoba oil with 2 tablespoons each of clean water and witch hazel in a clean dispenser. Shake the solution to combine everything nicely.
You can use your fingers, a cotton ball, or a makeup pad to apply the solution on your eyelashes to remove the mascara.
More Tips On How To Take Off Waterproof Mascara On The Eyes
- To remove waterproof makeup, use natural, hypoallergenic wipes, makeup pads, cotton balls, or a damp, clean facial cloth to prevent irritation of the eye area.
- Do not rub, tug, or pull on your eyelashes as this can cause them to fall out, some product to get in your eyes, or your skin to become irritated or infected.
- When removing the most stubborn eye makeup, check your progress in a mirror to know if it is coming off.
- Always wipe your lashes towards the same direction: downward from the base to the tips.
- Use Q-tips dipped into oil or makeup remover to get rid of any remaining mascara especially on hard to reach areas or creases.
- After removing your waterproof mascara, wash your face with a gentle face cleanser and lukewarm water to remove any makeup or oil residues left behind.
- Apply a base coat before waterproof mascara for longer wear and easier removal.
- Do not use baby oil to remove waterproof mascara. Like petroleum jelly, it is a gasoline by-product which can cause damage or irritation around the eyes.
- Remove all of your makeup before washing your face and do not use face wash. This won’t take off the makeup properly and may even leave harmful residues or leave you with smudgy raccoon eyes.
- Do not use cleansing cloths regularly. These might contain alcohol and preservatives that can harm, irritate, or dry out the skin.
Trying these easy ways on how to take off waterproof mascara and following the mentioned helpful tips will give you one less problem to worry about the next time you decide to go for a long-lasting bold eye makeup look!
“Hope you find the post helpful and we are excited to hear what you think of it!”