5 Reasons Why You Have Premature Aging Skin And How To Treat It?
Aging is a natural process that we all experience. Oftentimes, how you look is a reflection of your age. However, looks can be deceiving, and premature aging can make you appear older than you really are.
So, what really is premature aging skin and what can you do about it? Read on to find out!
1. What Is Premature Aging Of Skin?
The premature aging meaning is that your body, especially your skin, is getting old way too fast. It also means getting telltale signs of aging like wrinkles or fine lines during your twenties. It is caused by various factors, with a lot to do with your lifestyle choices.
2. What Causes Premature Aging Of The Skin?
The premature aging skin causes have a lot to do with what your body and skin have to go through every day. Here are the five most common reasons why you might have prematurely aging skin.
If you eat a lot of sweets and carbs, your skin tends to become rigid and lose its elasticity or ability to get back to its original state after stretching. Because of this and the facial expressions that you make repeatedly, you get fine lines and wrinkles.
Most of the structures that make up your skin and enhance its elasticity like collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid are proteins. So, a diet that’s also low in protein impairs your skin’s ability to produce new cells and repair itself.
Fruits and vegetables, especially berries, are also natural sources of antioxidants and nutrients. Not eating enough of these can also cause faster oxidation on your skin and in the body, leading to damages and aging.
Extreme Exposure To The Sun, Stress, And Pollution
Another common agent of aging is the sun. Too much damage from its UV rays cause premature aging and even cancer on people at their twenties or thirties.
In fact, according to Dr. Patricia Ceballos from Schweiger Dermatology Group, up to 70% of skin’s aging is estimated to be due to sun exposure.
Not only that, prolonged and severe emotional, mental, or physical stress also accelerated the aging process. Stress can also be due to sleep deprivation and depression.
Stress induces the production of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol, which can impede connective tissue synthesis, fat deposition on the face, and cause damage to bone density and structure.
Another factor that messes your skin up is air pollution. Smog, dirt, and air particulates have been shown to cause premature skin aging.
Not Being Hydrated Enough
Drinking eight or more glasses every day not only keeps you hydrated but also keeps wrinkles away. Dehydration causes the skin to look papery, making fine lines more noticeable but loading up on the water can help your skin retain moisture and become softer.
Alcohol And Smoking
Smokers have been found to have 60% lower Vitamin C levels in their blood than non-smokers. Vitamin C is used in collagen production, which makes the skin elastic, healthy, and young-looking.
Therefore, smoking can cause premature wrinkles and fine lines, especially on thin-skinned areas like the upper lips, neck or around the eyes. These signs appear 10 to 15 years earlier in smokers.
Alcohol not only causes dehydration but also damages your skin color and texture. Consuming large amounts of alcohol cause your eyes to bulge from their sockets.
This also allows toxic materials to accumulate in deep skin layers, causing your capillaries to appear and your nasal bridge and cheeks to redden.
The combined effects of alcohol and smoking also cause pigmentation or discoloration of the skin. They also cause drying up or puffiness of the eyes, edema, and spider veins.
Lastly, our bodies acquire from our parents the ability to produce antioxidants and enzymes that function to correct DNA damage. These damages occur due to the aging process.
Because this ability to repair the damage is encoded in our genes, the amount of antioxidants that our body can produce is also determined by our genetic makeup.
3. How To Stop Premature Aging Symptoms
Here are some helpful tips so you can prevent or stop the symptoms of premature aging.
1. Ditch sweets and simple carbohydrates for vegetables, fruits, complex carbs, and lean proteins.
2. Wear sunscreen whether or not you’re going to the beach or spending the day under the sun. Your skin will thank you for it.
3. Cleanse the air in your home using air filters or purifiers.
4. If you’re not a fan of drinking water, get hydration from fruits like watermelons or vegetables like cucumbers. They are very refreshing and are a level more fun that plain old water. Eat them as snacks to keep yourself hydrated.
5. Load up on antioxidants from berries, dark chocolates, and vegetables such as broccoli, pecans, and spinach.
4. Tips On How To Reverse Premature Aging
If you have already noticed the symptoms of premature aging on your skin and body, here are ways to treat or reverse their effects, and also to prevent more damage.
1. Load up on calcium to increase bone density before you reach your thirties.
2. Shield your face and eyes from the sun as much as you can.
3. Eat mangoes and spinach that help reverse the effects of sun damage. They also prevent wrinkles from deepening and your skin from drying.
4. Take Omega-3 DHA vitamins or supplements to reduce or prevent memory loss and damage to brain health.
5. Workout and stimulate your brain by continuing to work, do crafts, or read.
6. Stay away from soda and coffee. They not only cause gray hair and dull skin, but also have many ill effects on your health.
7. Use creams with retinol and/or glycolic acid to give your skin its needed elasticity and glow.
8. Stop eating processed food and red meat. They contain saturated fats that can cause excess pounds or damage the skin.
9. Apply lotion to keep you skin moisturized, especially on your hands. Some lotions even double as sunscreen for a dual-purpose anti-aging routine.
10. Destress by doing something you enjoy, like yoga or fishing. Try your best to get enough sleep, and do not overwork yourself.
There you have it! There are simple remedies or preventive measures to premature aging. If these are not enough, try Solvaderm’s Ace-Ferulic Skin Damage Restoration & Photo Aging Defense Serum. It is a serum that rejuvenates and restores your skin’s defenses against sun damage and aging. It also nourishes and improves your skin’s color, tone, and texture.
No one wants to have premature aging skin and lucky for you, there are ways and available products that can help protect your skin from this condition.
“Hope you find the post helpful and we are excited to hear what you think of it!”